Construction law is one of the firm’s key areas of practice. Our services in this sector range from the provision of advice and drafting of the relevant documents in the pre-construction and during construction stages such as construction contracts and joint venture agreements, consortia agreements, turnkey contracts, project management, consultancy and joint ventures for projects worldwide, to resolving disputes that arise during and after construction, whether through litigation or arbitration and alternative dispute resolution processes (find more on our Dispute Resolution practice page). Our Firm acts for developers/employers, engineering firms, design professionals, quantity surveyors, construction and project managers and contractors.
The team that advises and litigates in the corporate real estate sector and assists land corporations in:
- The sale and acquisition of real estate assets
- Setting up complex real estate transactions (sell and lease back)
- Implementing statutory guarantees
- Managing industrial risks, in association with the public law team and the litigation team
- Resolving problems arising under planning law
We are well positioned to assist in all aspects of other property transactions, be it industrial parks, commercial or residential developments, hotels and resorts or issues relating to deed of covenants, easements, leases or management agreements. Tax, stamp duties, environmental and regulatory issues, if applicable will be taken into account.
Examples of our lawyers’ experience include:
- Advising a Consortium of Lebanese and international companies in tendering for a Seawater Desalination BOOT project in Algeria. Task included leading the legal team that was involved in setting up the financing schemes, reviewing the contractual documents, giving advice on several aspects of Algerian law and drafting the JV agreement.
- Advising a Canadian Construction and Engineering Consultancy Firm in establishing a Joint Venture with a high profile partner in Dubai, involving the drafting of Joint Venture and Shareholders Agreements.
- Advising a Belgian and Lebanese JV in a FIDIC dispute with a Lebanese governmental agency in connection with a major marine infrastructure project in Lebanon. The task included drafting of a legal opinion involving several administrative and contract law as well as FIDIC issues and advising the JV during negotiations.
- Advising a French promoter on the legal aspects of establishing a series of shopping malls in Lebanon. Task included drafting of leasing contracts, financing agreements and taking of securities and advising on legal and tax issues.
- Advising a Swiss contractor in connection with a FIDIC Silver Book for a turnkey project in Iraq, involving issues of liabilities, contract law and international taxation.
- Advising a US oil company in connection with a FIDIC contract in Iraq, involving issues of liabilities, contract law and international arbitration.
- Representing contractors in construction arbitration (international and domestic) and acting as arbitrators in related disputes (see the Dispute Resolution practice.
- Representing promoter in a dispute with a French party over a large real estate development project in Lebanon.